- Internship Requirements
- Application Requirements
- Cover Letter
- Letters of Recommendation
- Official Education Transcripts
To be eligible for a CLM Internship, each applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Undergraduate or Advanced Degree in Biology, Environmental Sciences, Ecology, Evolutionary Biology, Natural Resources Management, Botany, Wildlife Biology, or similar fields - You must receive your degree before starting an internship, however you can apply before your degree is complete! Spring semester 2016 graduates are encouraged to apply. Applicants with undergraduate AND graduate degrees are also encouraged to apply!
- Have a current and valid United States drivers license
- Be a United States citizen
- Have enthusiasm, independence, strong work ethic
- Have interest in land management and applied conservation practices
If you were an intern or applied for an internship previously, you need to complete a new online application, which will require you to provide an updated cover letter and resume. Any letters of recommendation and transcripts received with your previous application are still on file and will be added to your new application. If you have acquired recent experience related to your application, please ask that a person familiar with your work submit an additional letter on your behalf as well.
Each internship requires a unique set of skills in at least one of the following areas. Please note that most internships have a botany or botany & wildlife focus. Fewer wildlife positions are available.
- Botany and Wildlife
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Range Management
- Policy (i.e., U.S. Endangered Species Act and National Environmental Policy Act)
- Technical writing
- Wetland ecology
All applications must be submitted through the CLM online application process. Please log in or create an account and submit an application. The online application includes an application form where you will provide information on your background, education, experience, contact information for 3 references, as well as links to upload your cover letter and resume. You must request that an official college/university transcript be sent to the CLM Program on your behalf. We do not accept unofficial copies of transcripts.
Once we have received the following items, your application is considered complete and will be evaluated by CLM Staff:
- Cover Letter (pdf file)
- Resume (pdf file)
- 3 References (You must provide names, email addresses, and affiliated institutions. References will provide Letters of Recommendation.)
- Official College/University Transcript (You must request that an official college/university transcript be sent to the CLM Program on your behalf. We do not accept unofficial copies of transcripts. Official education transcripts should be mailed to: Dr. Krissa Skogen Conservation and Land Management Internship Program Chicago Botanic Garden 1000 Lake Cook Road Glencoe, IL 60022)
Cover letters should be addressed to Dr. Krissa Skogen, Manager/CLM Internship. Please discuss the following in your cover letter:
- Why you are interested in the CLM Internship Program
- What you hope to gain from an internship.
- Specific knowledge/experience/etc. that makes you especially competitive for a CLM internship
- How a CLM internship will help you achieve your career goals
- Any additional information that may be helpful or necessary for us to know
When you submit your application online, an email is sent to each of your references. This email provides them with a link where they will submit their letter of recommendation for you. You will receive an email notifying you that we have received each letter as they are submitted. Letters of recommendation must be sent by the author of the letter, not the applicant. Letters of recommendation should be submitted by someone familiar with your background as it pertains to the work you will perform for the internship. Some examples of suitable references include teachers, professors, former employers, and volunteer coordinators.
Letters of recommendation should be addressed to Dr. Krissa Skogen, Manager CLM Internship Program and should discuss your:
- Background knowledge (coursework, etc.) and experience in conservation and land management issues (including but not limited to: botany, zoology, conservation biology, land and/or natural resources management, etc.)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to learn and apply new information
- Any additional information that may be helpful
You must request that an official college/university transcript be sent to the CLM Program on your behalf. We do not accept unofficial copies of transcripts. We require the transcript from your most recent and/or applicable degree held. We will accept additional official transcripts that provide information on relevant courses taken at other universities than the one you graduated from (e.g., from an associate degree, coursework taken outside of a formal degree track, etc.).
Official education transcripts should be mailed to:
Dr. Krissa Skogen
Conservation and Land Management Internship Program
Chicago Botanic Garden
1000 Lake Cook Road
Glencoe, IL 60022
Questions about your application? Please email us! firstname.lastname@example.org.